Happy Holidays from the Women’s Media Center’s New President, Julie Burton!
December 20, 2010
From our family to yours, the board and staff of the Women’s Media Center wishes you a beautiful and healthy holiday season, and a wonderful New Year, full of hope, progress, and happiness.
We’re delighted to announce some exciting news, recap our victories and highlights of 2010, and share our first project of 2011 with you!
First, we’re delighted to announce that Julie Burton is joining the WMC family as President! Founder and Board Member Gloria Steinem says, "It's a personal reward for me to be working again with Julie Burton. She has always been unique in her ability to be on the cutting edge of new media and get accurate information to the public through popular culture, from radio to rock concerts. The Women's Media Center is lucky to have a President who combines the ethics of the best journalism with the speed and reach of electronic messengers." Jane Fonda, another Founder and Board Member says “I’m thrilled to work with Julie again, whom I first met many years ago as an leading pro-choice activist. We are lucky to have her permanently at the helm, and look forward to the mobilization of her newest ideas!”
In addition to 2010 marking our 5 year anniversary, 2010 was a banner year for our programming and campaigns. We’d love to share our highlights with you here:
- Trained two spectacular 2010 classes of Progressive Women’s Voices
- Launched the Not Under The Bus campaign, fighting for reproductive justice in the health care reform bill
- Mobilized thousands during the Superbowl to address CBS’s airing of Focus on the Family’s anti-choice ad
- Partnered with WCF Foundation to launch the Name It. Change It. campaign, holding media accountable for sexist coverage of women candidates & leaders in the 2010 midterm elections
- Hosted Watch-Ins for Christiane Amanpour’s ‘This Week’, and MTV’s ‘16 & Loved’ coverage of teen abortions
- Partnered to host the SPARK summit and movement, addressing the sexualization of girls in the media, featuring Geena Davis
- Joined Prudential for the release of their 10th anniversary study on women’s financial behaviors, and hosted a SheSource luncheon celebrating our online database of women experts
Stay tuned as we expand our girls programming and training at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival in January, and follow our live coverage as we train a team of girl activists to cover women in filmmaking, and celebrate the premiere of Miss Representation!
We couldn’t do our work without you so above all, we thank you for your passion and dedication – For which we’re extremely grateful this holiday season.
Wishing you a happy holiday, and brightest hopes in the New Year.
The Board & Staff of the Women’s Media Center
Are you a reporter? Check out shesource.org.
If you see something in the news that needs a response, please let us know.