WMC SheSource Intern
The Women's Media Center is looking for interns who are excited about our mission. We recruit year-round for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Internships are paid, and we are happy to work with professors for credit, if applicable.
As an intern at the Women’s Media Center, you will benefit from some or all of the below:
- First-hand experience in a non-profit media advocacy organization
- Inclusion in our network and exposure to many women’s organizations
- Involvement with important and interesting events & leaders
- Opportunities to observe media trainings
WMC SheSource Internship
The WMC SheSource internship is based in Washington, DC. The WMC SheSource Intern assists the WMC SheSource Director in the day to day management of WMC SheSource, the WMC’s online database of women experts (please go to www.shesource.org to learn more). The intern serves as liaison to our experts, so excellent communication skills and a professional demeanor is important.
Primary responsibilities include:
- matching experts to headlines of the day,
- updating SheSource expert bios,
- web editing (Expression Engine),
- researching media requests (Cision/Meltwater),
- contact management (Blue State Digital, Microsoft Outlook),
- compiling and distributing email blasts (Blue State Digital), and
- conducting online research and outreach to experts.
The ideal candidate will be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, & Outlook, and have an interest in media. In addition, candidates must be Internet savvy, have good clerical skills, and pay excellent attention to detail. You must demonstrate excellent communication and organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines, and have a demonstrated commitment to team work.
You must be available a few days a week, flexibility is required.
How to apply: Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Kate McCarthy, WMC SheSource Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your subject line must include the position for which you are applying (example: "WMC SheSource Internship"). In your cover letter, please describe your interest in contemporary women’s issues, how this interest is demonstrated in your past experience, and how you would like to expand upon it with an internship at the Women’s Media Center.
We look forward to reviewing your application!
No phone calls, please.