Media Coverage of the Launch of “Women Under Siege”
February 8, 2012
Women Under Siege is a new project of the Women's Media Center. Spearheaded by Gloria Steinem, Women Under Siege documents how rape and other forms of sexualized violence are used as tools in genocide and conflict throughout the 20th century and into the 21st.
Upon the launch of Women Under Siege, traditional and new media alike highlighted the project. Below is a selection of those articles:
- The New York Times: “What We Are Reading: Women Under Siege”
- Women in the World Foundation (Newsweek/Daily Beast): "Women Under Siege: A new website illuminates women's experience of sexualized violence in conflict"
- RH Reality Check: "The Launch of "Women Under Siege:" A Journalistic Megaphone For Victims of Sexual Violence"
- Gender Across Borders Blog: "Women’s Media Center Launches 'Women Under Siege'"
- The Political Notebook: "Raising Awareness about Rape and Sexual Assault in Wartime: An Interview with Lauren Wolfe, Journalist and Director of Women Under Siege"
- CNN.com: "Can we end rape as tool of war?"
- The Atlantic: "Gloria Steinem on Rape in War, Its Causes, and How to Stop It"
- Nobel Women’s Initiative blog: "Women Under Siege-New web site!"
- Gunpowder & Lead: "Rape Is Not An Inevitability of War"
- Nieman Reports: "Women Under Siege" featured on homepage